Forces end US-backed training programme to restructure security apparatus.
End of ceasefire
The brigades resumed firing rockets into Israel on Tuesday after the killing of nine Palestinians in raids last week, which it cited as ending the five-month ceasefire.
Other Palestinian factions, including the National Resistance Committees, al-Nasir Salah al-Din Brigades and Palestine’s Mujahidin Brigades, have issued statements claiming responsibility for firing a number of rockets at Israeli targets north and east of Gaza Strip, Hiba Akila, Al Jazeera correspondent, said.
The factions have vowed to continue firing rockets at Israeli targets in response to aggressive Israeli practices in the Gaza Strip and continuing military operations and arrest campaigns in the West Bank, Akila said.
However, Palestinian leaders said the future of the cease-fire depended on Israeli actions.
Ehud Olmert, the Israeli prime minister, decided in talks with security chiefs on Wednesday to step up “targeted attacks” against Palestinian rocket-launching crews.
Ismail Haniya, the Palestinian prime minister, said his government would reassess its strategy in one to two months if international sanctions against the Palestinian were not lifted.
Haniya leads a unity government with Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian president.