Israeli police kill Palestinian teenager in Jerusalem

Fatal shooting of 17-year-old occurs a day before expected verdict on burning death of 16-year-old Abu Khdeir in 2014.

Violence since October 1 has left 103 dead on the Palestinian side, including an Arab Israeli, as well as 21 Israelis [Reuters]
Violence since October 1 has left 103 dead on the Palestinian side, including an Arab Israeli, as well as 21 Israelis [Reuters]

Israeli police have shot a Palestinian teenager in Jerusalem on a day of violence in the city that left two people wounded and another Palestinian man killed.

The fatal shooting overnight of 17-year-old Ayman Samih Abassi in occupied East Jerusalem happened just before an expected verdict on Monday, in the murder case of 16-year-old Mohammed Abu Khdeir, who was kidnapped, beaten and burnt alive by suspected Israeli attackers.

Abassi’s death was confirmed by the Palestinian health ministry on Sunday. Al Jazeera has learned that he was shot in the chest.

At least three other Palestinians were also injured.

In a statement, the Israeli police said that officers fired at a Palestinian holding “a petrol bomb” in the Ras al-Amud neighbourhood, but added that it could not confirm hitting him.  

Related: Trial of Abu Khdeir killers ‘a sham’, says family

“About 10 petrol bombs were thrown at border police officers in Ras al-Amud,” the statement said.

Earlier on Sunday, Bassem Salah, a 38-year-old Palestianian man from the West Bank city of Nablus, was also killed after allegedly stabbing and slightly wounding an Israeli border police officer.

The incident took place at the Damascus Gate, a main entry point for Palestinians to East Jerusalem’s Old City.

Also on Sunday, a foreign woman of around 30 was lightly wounded in a stabbing near a bus stop in west Jerusalem and the attacker fled.

Talk to Al Jazeera – Relative of Netanyahu says PM against Palestinian state

Police said a Palestinian suspect was later arrested near the scene.

Further details on the victim were not immediately provided.

Violence since October 1 has left 104 dead on the Palestinian side, including an Arab Israeli, as well as 21 Israelis, one American and an Eritream, after violence erupted in Jerusalem, following Israeli incursions into the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound.

A visit last week by John Kerry, US secretary of state, failed to produce any breakthrough.

On Sunday, Israel said it is suspending discussion of its conflict with the Palestinians with EU officials, in response to the bloc’s decision to label goods imported from Jewish settlements.

Palestinian leaders blame Israel for the wave of violence, saying its continued occupation and settlement building along with a lack of progress in peace efforts have led to hopelessness among youths.

The settlements are illegal under international law and major stumbling blocks to peace efforts, with those in the West Bank and East Jerusalem built on land seen as part of a future Palestinian state.

Meanwhile in the West Bank city of Hebron, the Israeli army shut down Dream radio station, the third private broadcaster it has closed there, accusing it of stoking the violence.

Al-Khalil and Al-Hurriya radio stations in Hebron were also closed this month on similar grounds.

Source : News Agencies


More from News
Most Read